Tell me if you have this problem too: You want to start eating healthier and decide you want ALL THE THINGS. So you add this healthy snack to your grocery list. And that healthy-sounding breakfast. And now you need plenty of good choices for your kids’ lunches.
Suddenly you realize you have too much food and not enough money.
That was definitely me this week! Ever since I started 80 Day Obsession (A weight lifting program), I’ve been upping my protein intake and not eating as much dessert; and I feel so much better right now. My cravings for the bad stuff are gone and now I want to fill my kitchen with all this good food!
The problem is that sometimes I go a little crazy. I may overcompensate on snacks because they were on sale; or buy a ton of meat as well as little stock-up items like toothpaste, and then realize I forgot to save money for extra vegetables. It’s a tough balance and I don’t have all the answers; but I hope some of you understand!
Overall though, I think I did pretty well this week. I was still a dollar under budget, and we still got what we needed! I’m especially glad we have a grocery outlet nearby. Mr. Mac’s is local to us in Ohio, but I encourage you to go out and find your own local store. I save over 50% on most of my items and helps me buy healthier foods on our budget!
Here’s what I bought this week:
Mr. Mac’s Grocery Outlet
2 boxes Kodiak pancakes: $1.25 each
Annie’s protein bars: $1.75
Kids Larabars: $2.50
Birds Eye cauliflower fries: $1.50
Garrett Valley turkey snack sticks: $.25 each
Starbucks K-Cups: $4.75
Quaker Kids organic whole grain bites: $1.00
Barbara’s Puffins cereal: $2.00
Total: $16.50. I calculated that I saved over $20.00 buying from here!
Crest Kids toothpaste: $1.99
Brown rice, 2-pound bag: $1.79
Chicken thighs: $6.24, were 88 cents a pound!
King Arthur white whole wheat flour: $3.79, used a $.75/1 coupon
Frozen berries: $4.99
Canned olives: $1.19
Greek yogurt tub: $3.45
Sour cream: $.89
Cottage cheese: $1.59
Box of mini cheese sandwich cracker packs: $3.99
Hot sauce: $1.99
Half & half: $1.55
Brioche buns: $2.49
String cheese: $2.79
Turkey snack sticks: $3.49
Dark chocolate chips: $1.69
Grape tomatoes: $1.99
Goat cheese: $1.99
Bananas, 2.36 pounds: $1.04
Red Delicious apples, 3-pound bag: $2.99
Ranch dressing packet: $.45
Weekly Total: $86.53. This includes taking out $5.00 for a Sam’s Club run.
Lunch is always leftovers. Items marked with an asterisk (*) were purchased in previous weeks.
- Small group- Tacos, bringing rice, Mexican lentils*, sour cream, salsa, and jalapenos
- Buffalo ranch meatballs (Bag of frozen meatballs*, ranch packet, hot sauce) with Pioneer Woman Sweet Potato and Kale Casserole* and roasted cauliflower
- Oven-baked chicken thighs, Annie’s macaroni and cheese*, frozen broccoli*
- Aidell’s Chicken Apple Burgers* (My last pack in the freezer, gotta buy more!) on brioche buns, cauliflower fries, frozen veggies
- Chicken Quinoa Salad (Something similar to this one but adding chicken- using olives, grape tomatoes, cucumber, maybe a white onion I already have)
- Banana Bread Baked Oatmeal
- Breakfast Pizza (Made this last week- Follow me on Youtube so you’ll get notified when I publish the video on Friday!)
- Kodiak Cakes topped with berries, cottage cheese
What’s on your menu this week? Share below in the comments!