This Salsa Chicken Casserole is full of spices and flavor! Tender chicken, fluffy rice, topped with cheddar cheese!
Casseroles are one of my favorite meals to make.
It serves a ton of food. So if you have a large family, this may be enough to feed all of them! But if you have a small family, like my family of 3, you’ll have plenty for leftovers- which is really the best part of making dinner!
I love how casseroles also have a good mixture of protein, carbs, and vegetables. We’ve got a basic complete meal just in that casserole, with maybe only a salad needed as a side!
This Salsa Chicken Casserole is super easy to make. This is one of those one dish dinners where you just spend a few minutes of prep; and an hour later you have a delicious meal!
Scroll to the bottom of the post to get to the recipe card. Or keep reading for extra tips and tricks for this easy recipe!
Want to see this recipe in video form? Check out my video on Youtube!
Canned black beans
Boneless chicken breasts (Chicken thighs can work too)
Shredded cheddar cheese
Rice: You may be able to use brown rice, but may need to add more liquid and cooking time.
Cheese: You could use any combination of cheddar, Mexican blend, Monterey Jack cheese, or any other favorites.
Seasoning: Instead of a pre-made taco seasoning, you can use your own combination of favorites: Chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, black pepper, etc.
Extra vegetables: Green onions, bell peppers, green chiles
Tips for the perfect casserole
- Make sure the rice is fully mixed in with the liquid before you bake! Otherwise you may get dry uncooked rice on top while the rice on the bottom is perfectly soft. I need to remember this for next time!
How to make
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
Drain and rinse the beans and corn, and add them to a greased 9×13 casserole dish.
Add the rice, salsa, chicken broth, and taco seasoning, and combine. Make sure the rice is fully immersed in the liquid so it cooks fully.
Slice the chicken into small strips.
Tuck the chicken strips under the rice mixture in a single layer. Place the chicken mixture in the oven and bake for one hour until the rice and chicken are fully cooked.
Remove from oven and add shredded cheddar, then bake for another 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted.
Divide and serve with your favorite sides.
How to store
When this has cooled to room temperature, store leftover chicken casserole in an airtight container in the fridge. Use up within 3-5 days.
You can also eat this the next day on top of a salad! Or maybe as a dip with tortilla chips.
What to serve with this
This easy casserole recipe makes for a super filling meal thanks to the protein from the chicken and beans. You can serve this with your favorite toppings! Here are some ideas:
- Additional salsa (Fresh salsa or homemade salsa too)
- Fresh cilantro
- Fresh tomatoes
- Dollop of sour cream
- Avocado or guacamole
Tortilla chips would also make a great side, as well as a salad or maybe some roasted zucchini.
More Mexican-inspired recipes
Need another dinner idea or two? Here are some other great recipes similar to this one!
- Salsa Verde Chicken Recipe (Only 5 ingredients!)
- Slow Cooker Salsa Chicken Recipe
- How to Use Up Leftover Spanish Rice
Print the recipe now:
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 15-ounce can corn
- 15-ounce can black beans
- 16-ounce jar salsa
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 pound chicken breast, raw
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Drain and rinse the beans and corn, and add them to a greased 9x13 casserole dish.
- Add the rice, salsa, chicken broth, and taco seasoning, and combine. Make sure the rice is fully immersed in the liquid so it cooks fully.
- Slice the chicken into small strips.
- Tuck the chicken strips under the rice mixture in a single layer. Bake for one hour until the rice and chicken are fully cooked.
- Remove from oven and add shredded cheddar, then bake for another 10-15 minutes until the cheese is melted.
- Divide and serve with your favorite sides.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 583Total Fat: 11gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 95mgSodium: 1887mgCarbohydrates: 76gFiber: 12gSugar: 11gProtein: 54g
Jaime is a Nutrition Coach and professional writer. She enjoys cooking easy meals, running, and learning more about food.
Jaime specializes in helping women with ADHD learn to meal plan and cook healthier meals without getting overwhelmed.