Just because Aldi is really cheap doesn’t mean it doesn’t sell healthy foods! Here are my top healthy foods to buy at Aldi to keep your grocery budget low.
If you’re trying to live a healthier lifestyle, you know that sometimes it can get a bit expensive. You know you should eat more fruits and vegetables, but you feel like you don’t have the money to buy it all. I know the feeling! As a mom and Nutrition Coach, I want to be able to feed my family healthy food but not blow the budget.
Does Aldi have healthy food?
Aldi may be a small grocery store, but it packs a punch when it comes to healthy foods. More and more, they’re coming out with natural and organic products, making Aldi a one-stop shop for your healthy item needs. I do maybe 70% of my shopping at Aldi and I’m amazed at what I can buy with my money.
Why is aldi so cheap?
If you take a look around, you’ll see why Aldi can have such low prices (All good things!).
- You need a quarter to grab a cart, and get it back when you put the cart away. Aldi doesn’t have to pay an extra employee to corral carts, which passes on the savings to you!
- All the items come in boxes that the employees just have to tear off the top and place them on the shelves. It saves time and effort on the store’s part!
- Aldi doesn’t have baggers; instead, the cashier places all your items back in the cart for you to bag yourself. In addition to not having to pay for a bagger, Aldi doesn’t give away bags; you can still buy paper or plastic bags for pennies, though.
In addition to being low-priced, Aldi pays their employees fairly good money and treats them well! It’d be an awesome place to work, I’m sure.
Top healthy foods to buy at aldi
- Bags of dried beans- Cheaper than canned! Here’s how I cook beans in the slow cooker.
- Canned tomatoes
- Chia seeds- These are awesome in chia pudding and overnight oats!
- Rolled oats
- Whole wheat pasta
- Canned fruit- I always buy the ones that have 100% juice instead of syrup.
- Canned vegetables- Canned are still healthy!
- Applesauce- Get the one in the picture that has no added sugar!
- Crackers- I like the woven wheat crackers.
- Elevation bars- So far I’ve only bought the Peanut Butter Cookie bars, which are generic Larabars. They taste just alike!
- Peanut butter- I buy the kind that has only two ingredients- peanuts and salt.
- Jelly- I like the jars that are 75% fruit.
- Frozen ground turkey
- Frozen ground beef- It’s 85% lean, but it can be a little expensive.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts- I’ve bought fresh and frozen, and both are just fine.
- Bone-in chicken breasts and thighs- They can be super cheap!
- Turkey bacon
- Chicken sausages
- Deli meat- I usually buy the kind that has no extra preservatives.
- Canned tuna
- Frozen tilapia
- Almond milk- Perfect for smoothies! Buy the unsweetened, which are only 30 calories.
- Cottage cheese- Aldi has the BEST cottage cheese. The 4% is always creamy and delicious!
- Greek yogurt- The big tubs of plain and vanilla are the cheapest I’ve found.
- Cheese- Blocks, sliced, and shredded. I’ve also bought the Aldi brand Laughing Cow cheese wedges, they’re really good!
- Goat cheese- A small log of goat cheese is only $1.99 here! Half the price of the grocery store!
Honestly, ALL the produce here is good. I won’t include every single item, but here are my favorites:
- Romaine hearts
- Russet potatoes
- Sweet potatoes
- Bell peppers
- Carrots- Whole and baby carrots, both are good prices.
- Sugar snap peas
- Whole wheat sandwich loaves- I love the ones with the bigger slices!
- Whole wheat tortilla shells
- Sandwich Skinnys
- Flatbread- These are huge and make really good pizzas, too!
- Guacamole cups- I love these because they keep for a lot longer and don’t go brown! It comes in a box of 6.
What are your favorite healthy foods to buy at Aldi? Leave a comment and give us new ideas!
Monday 13th of July 2020
Things you didn’t mention. Frozen wild caught salmon, but only in the one pound bag. The larger bags have weird ingredients added. Their gluten free, brown rice, quinoa pasta is good also. They also have organic, unsweetened almond milk. I never noticed the organic option until recently.
Monday 13th of July 2020
Oh, nice! I've actually never had their frozen salmon. I'll look for it next time I'm there, thanks for the suggestion!