If you’re trying to live a healthier lifestyle, you know that sometimes it can get a bit expensive. You know you should eat more fruits and vegetables, but you feel like you don’t have the money to buy it all. I know the feeling! As a runner who eats a LOT, I want to be able to feed my family healthy food at a low price. Luckily, Aldi is here to save the day!
Aldi may be a small grocery store, but it packs a punch when it comes to healthy foods. More and more, they’re coming out with natural and organic products, making Aldi a one-stop shop for your healthy item needs. I do maybe 70% of my shopping at Aldi and I’m amazed at what I can buy with my money. Here’s my top list of healthy foods to buy at Aldi; these are items I’ve bought before and recommend:
- Bags of dried beans- Cheaper than canned! Here’s how I cook beans in the slow cooker.
- Canned tomatoes
- Chia seeds- These are awesome in chia pudding and overnight oats!
- Rolled oats
- Whole wheat pasta
- Canned fruit- I always buy the ones that have 100% juice instead of syrup.
- Applesauce- I buy the big jar that has no added sugar.
- Crackers- I like the woven wheat crackers.
- Elevation bars- So far I’ve only bought the Peanut Butter Cookie bars, which are generic Larabars. They taste just alike!
- Peanut butter- I buy the kind that has only two ingredients- peanuts and salt.
- Jelly- I like the jars that are 75% fruit.
- Frozen ground turkey
- Frozen ground beef- It’s 85% lean, but it can be a little expensive.
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts- I’ve bought fresh and frozen, and both are just fine.
- Deli meat- I usually buy the kind that has no extra preservatives.
- Canned tuna
- Frozen tilapia
- Almond milk
- Cottage cheese
- Greek yogurt- The big tubs of plain and vanilla are the cheapest I’ve found.
- Cheese- Blocks, sliced, and shredded. I’ve also bought the Aldi brand Laughing Cow cheese wedges, they’re really good!
- Romaine hearts
- Russet potatoes
- Sweet potatoes
- Bell peppers
- Carrots- Whole and baby carrots, both are good prices.
- Sugar snap peas
- Whole wheat sandwich loaves
- Whole wheat tortilla shells
- Guacamole cups- I love these because they keep for a lot longer and don’t go brown! It comes in a box of 6.
What are your favorite healthy foods to buy at Aldi? Leave a comment and give us new ideas!