Has anyone ever tried making their own cream of chicken soup? I’d never done it until recently, and it’s super easy! It’s great for when you’re running low on grocery money for the week, or you suddenly realize you don’t have a can in the cupboard. It takes just a few minutes to put together and tastes just like the can! I found the original recipe here but changed it a bit to use what I had.
While you’re bringing chicken stock to a boil, mix together flour and milk. Slowly add the flour mixture to the boiling stock, stirring constantly. Add salt, garlic powder, pepper, and onion powder and reduce to a low boil, continuing to stir until it thickens.
It really does look just like the canned soup!
You can use it just like a regular can of soup, but remember that it’s condensed so you’ll need to add milk or water if you’re going to eat it like soup. Otherwise, just add it to any recipe that uses cream of chicken soup! It’s probably a lot healthier than store-bought, although the cans are really convenient, so here’s the recipe if you ever get stuck!
- 1 1/2 cups chicken stock
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- Bring chicken stock to a boil in a saucepan. Meanwhile, mix together the milk and flour.
- Slowly add the flour mixture to the boiling chicken stock, then add the seasonings and bring to a low boil, stirring constantly until the soup has thickened.
- Use in recipes, or add water/milk to eat as a soup.