A simple Italian dish, this Chicken Cacciatore is filled with vegetables and can be put in the freezer without cooking ahead of time!
Before I made this, I had no idea what Chicken Cacciatore was, let alone how to pronounce it.
Did you know it’s actually pronounced “ka-chuh-TAW-ree”? Well, now you know.
It’s an Italian dish that, simplistically, consists of chicken, a tomato sauce, and vegetables that can be served over pasta.
Now, I’m not Italian; so this recipe is not fancy in the slightest. I mean, I’m using store-bought spaghetti sauce. But for us busy moms, simple is best; even if it’s not truly authentic!
The best part about this freezer meal is that you don’t have to cook it ahead of time! Just put some raw chicken in the dish and add the chopped veggies and spaghetti sauce. That’s it.
And you can double, triple, or even quadruple the recipe without much effort. Those are my favorite kind of freezer meals!
What vegetables can you use in Chicken Cacciatore?
From the other recipes I’ve seen, it looks like onion and bell pepper are the main vegetables. But you can also add mushrooms, zucchini, carrots… I’m sure that just about all vegetables would work here!
What do you serve with Chicken Cacciatore?
You can serve this with any kind of pasta. I have half a huge box of macaroni in my pantry, so I’ll probably end up using that. But you could also serve it over rice or potatoes, or zoodles if you want the low-carb route.
I suppose you could cook the pasta ahead of time too and freeze it. I’ve never actually done it before, so I can’t tell you how well it works. But that can be a huge time-saver!
Looking for more freezer meal ideas? Check out the other recipes in my 25 Days of Freezer Meals series!
- 1 pound raw chicken breast
- 1 zucchini, chopped
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 26-oz jar spaghetti sauce
- (Optional) Other favorite veggies such as mushrooms
- In an 8x8 dish, lay the raw chicken on the bottom. Add the chopped vegetables and pour the spaghetti sauce over top.
- Cover with foil and label with the name, date, and cooking instructions, and place in the freezer.
- To cook, thaw overnight and bake at 350 for 50 minutes or until the chicken reaches at least 165 degrees. Serve with pasta of choice.