Lunches are made easy with these Teriyaki Ground Turkey Bowls! Simple ingredients, quick to make, and freezer friendly!
Busy moms need easy, healthy food.
That was my thinking when I made these Teriyaki Ground Turkey Bowls. Cook rice, cook meat, cook vegetables, add to a bowl. Boom, you’ve got healthy lunches for the week.
My favorite kind of meals involve just cooking components of a meal and throwing them into a bowl; because it’s so easy to get that combination of protein, carb, and vegetable.
What kind of meat can you use in these bowls?
You can certainly use chicken, because that’s pretty popular in Asian dishes. But I chose ground turkey for a couple reasons. One, because I actually had ground turkey available and didn’t need to buy it. And two, I just wanted something different!
It’s fairly similar to my Egg Roll in a Bowl, actually. So it didn’t seem too much of a stretch to use ground turkey.
What’s in the teriyaki sauce?
Honestly, I just used a bottle of Great Value that I had in my fridge. It does have added sugars and a few other ingredients I’d rather not use every day; so if I did it again, I’d probably use a brand like Primal Kitchen. It’s more expensive, but has healthy ingredients! Alternatively, you could make your own.
How long does it take to make these bowls?
I cooked my Jasmine rice in my rice cooker, which took maybe 40 minutes. But while that was going, I cooked the meat and vegetables in separate pans, which maybe took 20 minutes. So total time was maybe 45 minutes? But not all of that was hands-on.
If you want something faster, you could always use instant rice which only takes about 5 minutes to cook.
How do you freeze these bowls?
After I cooked everything, I divided the ingredients into 6 bowls. Once they cooled, I put the lids on and stuck them right in the freezer. Make sure you label your containers, whether with a marker or putting a sticker on it!
Want to see the other recipes in this series? Check out my 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer page!
- 2 pounds ground turkey
- 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1 1/2 cups dry Jasmine rice or white rice
- 3 20-oz bags frozen stir fry vegetables
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Cook your rice according to the instructions.
- Meanwhile, add the ground turkey to a pan and cook until fully browned. Drain and add the teriyaki sauce, stirring to coat.
- In a large pan or pot, heat the olive oil, then add the frozen vegetables, stirring occasionally until fully heated.
- When everything has finished cooking, divide the ingredients among 6 containers (About 1 cup of ground turkey, 3/4 cup rice, and 1 cup vegetables).
- To freeze, let cool completely. Place the lids on top, label, and place directly in the freezer.