This recipe for Egg Roll in a Bowl is simple to prepare and makes a ton of food! An easy, healthy dinner and a huge volume meal.
I love Asian food. Absolutely love it.
This recipe for Egg Roll in a Bowl is one of my favorites for a couple reasons:
- It only makes 4 servings
- The bowls are huge.
This is a recipe we make at least once or twice a month. It’s fairly cheap to make and easily customizable.
Is Egg Roll in a Bowl low-carb?
If you leave out the rice, this recipe is indeed lower in carbs. The vegetables will add a few, but not many.
Cauliflower rice is a good option if you still want a rice-y feel but fewer carbs.
Is this recipe low-calorie?
If you just make the meat and cabbage mixture (Without the extra stir fry veggies and rice), it comes out to about 233 calories. That’s if you use ground turkey.
I consider that to be pretty low-calorie. My typical meals are between 400-500 calories, so do what you will with that.
How to make Egg Roll in a Bowl
Start by cooking a pound of ground turkey in a large pan.
You can drain it if you like. I used 93/7 ground turkey so I really didn’t have much to drain.
Cook rice (If using), using your preferred method. I use a rice cooker, which really saves effort on my part!
Note: Brown rice typically takes longer to cook. Usually 75 minutes as opposed to about 35 with white rice.
Add the coleslaw mix and cook for 3-5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
You don’t want to cook this too long- otherwise the cabbage will get a little too soft for my tastes.
Add the soy sauce, garlic, and ginger, and stir to combine.
If you want to add some extra vegetables, do so at this point.
I love bags of stir-fry veggies because they’re so convenient to just heat up and add to my food!
Divide into 4 dishes and serve!
I added some peanuts on top of mine for extra fat and flavor- it really adds an extra crunch!
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 16-oz bag coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 16-oz bag frozen stir-fry vegetables (Optional)
- 1 cup rice, uncooked (Optional)
- Start cooking the rice using desired method- stovetop, rice cooker, etc.
- In a small bowl, add the soy sauce, garlic, and ground ginger and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Fully cook the ground beef or turkey, and drain.
- Cook the bag of stir-fry vegetables, if using, in the microwave.
- Add the bag of coleslaw mix and the soy sauce mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the coleslaw mix is slightly wilted but still crunchy.
- Divide into 4 bowls and serve with rice, if using.
Jaime is a Nutrition Coach and professional writer. She enjoys cooking easy meals, running, and learning more about food.
Jaime specializes in helping women with ADHD learn to meal plan and cook healthier meals without getting overwhelmed.