I love Asian food. Absolutely love it. This recipe for Egg Roll in a Bowl is one of my favorites for a couple reasons: It only makes 4 servings, and the bowls are huge. Loosely based off of this recipe here, I changed a few things to fit our eating habits and made it a volume meal.
The original recipe makes this low carb, but I always add rice because we’re definitely high-carb people! And because I just can’t leave things alone, I throw in a whole bag of frozen stir-fry veggies. I’m all about eating as much as I can and getting the best bang for my buck with calories, and this recipe wins every time.
Just look at how big this bowl is! It’s about 2 cups of mix, not including the rice. When I enter everything into MyFitnessPal, it comes out to roughly 475 calories (Do your own calculations based on what meat and veggies you use). It takes forever to eat, which leaves my stomach satisfied; it’s full of vegetables (about 2 servings worth!); and it helps that it’s super delicious! One tip for portion control is to scoop out all 4 servings at once. Get out your bowls and containers, and pour one cup at a time into each bowl until the pan is empty. This will help make sure your servings are even!
I’ve learned through trial and error that you need to cook the frozen veggies BEFORE adding the coleslaw mix. The cabbage cooks very quickly whereas frozen vegetables tend to need more time. The cabbage should be cooked down but still slightly crunchy, and you won’t get that by adding it first.
If you’re looking for a good healthy meal that won’t leave you hungry, Egg Roll in a Bowl is the perfect volume meal! Print the recipe below to add it to your meal rotation!
Never heard of volume meals or volume eating? Check out these links!
- 1 pound ground beef or turkey
- 1 16-oz bag coleslaw mix
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 16-oz bag frozen stir-fry vegetables
- 1 cup rice, uncooked
- 4 green onions, chopped
- Start cooking the rice using desired method- stovetop, rice cooker, etc.
- In a small bowl, add the soy sauce, garlic, and ground ginger and stir to combine. Set aside.
- Fully cook the ground beef or turkey, and drain.
- Add the entire bag of frozen stir-fry vegetables and cook, stirring occasionally, until the vegetables start to become soft.
- Add the bag of coleslaw mix and the soy sauce mixture and cook, stirring occasionally, until the frozen vegetables are fully cooked and the coleslaw mix is slightly wilted but still crunchy.
- Sprinkle the green onions on top and serve with cooked rice.