Pizza and waffles.
Have you ever heard of such a combination?
This recipe actually uses a base recipe for waffles, though. Minus the sugar. Instead of all the sweet waffle fixings, you add cheese, Italian seasonings, and your favorite pizza toppings. What you get is a silly but delicious dinner.
John actually looked at me funny when I said we were having pizza waffles for dinner. I know I’ve made weird recipes before, but he was just gonna have to trust me.
After mixing together all the ingredients, I put the first one in the waffle maker and immediately the house began smelling like pizza. It was wonderful.
Since the waffles take a couple minutes to cook, you can do other little things around the kitchen while you wait- like getting side items together, cleaning a few dishes… maybe that’s just me, though. I’m an expert multi-tasker.
This recipe made seven waffles, which was perfect for leftovers. But reheating them can be tricky. The microwave just doesn’t get them crispy like when they were first made.
That’s why we use our toaster oven to reheat things like waffles and pancakes. It only takes a couple extra minutes, but the waffles come out perfect and not soft at all.
These Pizza Waffles are best served with pizza sauce on the side for dipping. You can buy a jar of sauce or use my recipe for Slow Cooker Pizza Sauce. I like to make up a batch and freeze them in small containers so I can just pull one out for a single recipe. It’s super cheap to make, too!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons oregano
- 1 1/2 teaspoons basil
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 cup pepperoni, diced
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Pizza sauce for dipping
- In a medium bowl, mix together the dry ingredients. Add the pepperoni and cheese and stir until combined.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, milk, and oil. Add the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
- Using a half cup, scoop some of the mixture into a preheated waffle iron and cook for 3-5 minutes until the waffle is browned and crispy. Repeat until all the mixture is gone. Serve with pizza sauce for dipping.