Step up your bread making skills with this Bread Machine Jalapeno Cheese Bread! This easy recipe is slightly spicy, slightly cheesy, but fully delicious!
I don’t know about you, but bread is my absolute weakness.
My favorite food is sandwiches. The best thing in the world is dipping fresh french bread into broccoli cheese soup.
As you can see, bread is kind of a favorite around here.
A few years ago I bought a bread machine from the thrift store for six dollars. At that time, I wanted to be a little more frugal because I just had our daughter Allison a few months before. And being a stay-at-home mom means less money.
I couldn’t believe how much better bread tasted when you made it yourself! At first, I was intimidated because I’ve never used yeast before. I thought it was complicated and easy to mess up. But with a bread machine, you can make just about any recipe fool-proof.
This Jalapeno Cheese Bread was one of the first recipes I made and I was instantly hooked. It was my three favorite things combined into one delicious loaf.
How to make Bread Machine Jalapeno Cheese Bread
So you can make this bread two different ways. One is to bake it directly in the bread machine, and the other is to make just the dough in the bread machine and bake it in the oven.
I’ve done both, and I totally prefer baking bread in the oven myself. The way my machine is designed, the loaf ends up being really tall and oddly-shaped and not good for sandwiches.
See that huge lunk up there? Still delicious, but not all that pretty.
But the beauty of the bread machine is you can put in all the ingredients and basically forget about it for 90 minutes. And when you bake bread in the oven, in a regular loaf pan, you get this deliciousness up there.
How can you serve this bread?
When I first make a loaf of this, I’ll serve it with soup. But once the soup’s been eaten and there’s still bread left, I’ll turn it into sandwich bread. Oh yeah, I just took sandwiches to the next level.
Seriously, if you’ve ever been intimidated by a bread machine, give this recipe a try. It’s mostly hands-off; and although the whole process takes 3 hours, you’ll be happy you made this Jalapeno Cheese Bread!
- 3 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup diced jalapeno peppers
- Place all ingredients in your bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
- Set the bread machine on the "Dough" function if applicable (Usually runs about 90 minutes). Check after about 5 minutes and add water or flour, a tablespoon at a time, if the dough seems too dry or wet.
- After the bread machine is finished, lay the dough on a cutting board sprinkled with flour and knead a few times, then place in a 9x5 or 8x4 greased loaf pan. Cover with a towel and let rise for one hour.
- Bake at 400 degrees for 25 minutes or until the outside is hard and sounds "hollow" when you tap on it. Let cool on a cooling rack before slicing.
You can also bake this directly in the bread machine. Set your machine to the "Basic" or "Large Light" function, which will take about 3 hours from start to finish. The only problem is that depending on your style of bread machine, your loaf could end up being super tall.