Do you ever go through phases where you eat the same thing for breakfast every day for like 2 weeks straight?
I do too, and a lot of times it involves yogurt. I LOVE a huge bowl of yogurt sprinkled with granola and about a million berries on top. It satisfies my morning sweet tooth and gives me the bulk food that I need.
The problem comes with most granola being so dense that it’s easy to consume a ton of calories just in granola.
It’s just so good that you keep pouring it on and then realize you just gave yourself 3 servings.
Granola is pretty healthy, but when you add all sorts of sugar, nuts, and chocolate chips, the calories just skyrocket. I like being able to maximize my food intake and eat as much as I can for fewer calories.
That’s where this Honey Vanilla Granola comes in. It has only 5 ingredients and doesn’t contain all the extra stuff that makes granola a calorie bomb.
Of course, you can always add in your favorites; I’ve been known to sprinkle some chocolate chips on top of mine. But this is a simple, plain but delicious recipe that actually gives you a lot for one serving.
Now, I use a food scale instead of cups so I get an accurate measurement. But a serving size, according to my calculations, is about 55 grams.
I THINK that’s almost a half cup, for approximately 200 calories. Your average store-bought granola can get up to 200 calories for only a fourth cup, so you can see the big change in volume here!
The best part is I keep all the ingredients for this in my house, so it’s a frugal recipe that can be whipped up in minutes. Much cheaper than buying a small bag of store-bought granola!
The next time you’re in the mood for a quick breakfast on your meal prep day, make this Honey Vanilla Granola and enjoy it all week.
Need some more breakfast ideas? Check out this post on Easy Breakfast Sides!
- 4 cups rolled oats
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon oil (I use olive oil because it's all I have)
- Pinch of salt
- Add-ins (optional): Chocolate chips, nuts, raisins, etc.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees. Grease two cookie sheets or line with parchment paper.
- Heat the honey, vanilla, and oil in the microwave for a few seconds, just until melted and mixed.
- In a large bowl, combine the honey mixture with the oats until fully mixed.
- Pour the oats onto the cookie sheets and bake for 20 minutes or until slightly browned, watching carefully to make sure the granola doesn't burn.
- After the granola has cooled, add any desired mix-ins and store in an air-tight container at room temperature.