Need an easy breakfast or snack idea? These Banana Blueberry Muffins are super soft and fluffy, and full of delicious fruit!
When I buy bananas, I feel like I only have a 2-day window in which I like to eat them.
They have to be perfectly yellow. That’s when they have the best consistency and taste.
But once I see brown spots, I can’t eat them anymore. There’s just something about soft bananas that makes me feel ick.
That being said, I’m always left with a few brown bananas on the counter. I try to turn them into banana bread, or freeze for smoothies. This time, I made these healthy Blueberry Banana Muffins.
Made with simple ingredients, this easy recipe makes a perfect snack or quick breakfast idea! These muffins are made with whole grains, are filled with juicy blueberries, and are super soft thanks to the Greek yogurt and mashed bananas.
Scroll to the bottom of the post to get to the recipe card. Or keep reading for step-by-step instructions and extra tips!
What makes these healthy?
A lot of times when I make recipes, I look for ways to add extra nutrition. Here’s what’s in these muffins that contributes to that:
- Whole wheat flour: A heart-healthy whole grain that is filled with fiber and other nutrients to keep you full longer!
- Greek yogurt: Adds a little extra protein and softness to the muffins
- Bananas: A great source of potassium and fiber, and adds that slight banana flavor. And overripe bananas give you extra sweetness so you won’t need as much sugar!
- Blueberries: High in antioxidants
- Whole wheat flour
- Baking powder
- Baking soda
- Vanilla extract
- Greek yogurt
- Brown sugar
There are a few ways you can customize this:
- Chocolate chips
- Fresh blueberries instead of frozen blueberries
- Flax egg instead of regular eggs
- All purpose flour instead of whole wheat. This will make the muffins a bit softer and lighter in color.
How to make
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray or line with muffin liners.
In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Then add eggs, yogurt, vanilla, and brown sugar, and stir to combine.
Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine.
Gently fold in the blueberries.
Divide the mixture into the muffin tin and bake for 18-20 minutes until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
How to store
Once these muffins have cooled to room temperature, store them in an airtight container or a gallon-sized freezer bag. Left on the counter, these are good for 2-3 days. Left in the refrigerator, they’ll last 5-7 days.
How to freeze
Place the muffins in a single layer on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Place them in the freezer for 3-4 hours, then transfer to a gallon-sized freezer bag. Make sure you label the bag with the date and recipe name!
For best results, eat these within 3 months of freezing.
More easy muffin recipes
Looking for more healthy muffins to fill your fridge or freezer? Here are my favorite recipes! They’re tried-and-true and all are freezer friendly!
- Pumpkin Oat Muffins
- Morning Glory Muffins
- Healthy Apple Muffins
- Cinnamon Banana Muffins
- Double Chocolate Spinach Banana Muffins
Print the recipe for these healthy banana blueberry muffins:
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 ripe bananas
- 1/2 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 1/2 cups blueberries, frozen or fresh
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a muffin pan with cooking spray or line with muffin liners.
- In a small bowl, stir together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt.
- In a large bowl, mash the bananas. Then add eggs, yogurt, vanilla, and brown sugar, and stir to combine.
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and combine.
- Gently fold in the blueberries.
- Divide the mixture into the muffin tin and bake for 18-20 minutes until the tops are golden brown and a toothpick comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 12 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 135Total Fat: 1gSaturated Fat: 0gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 31mgSodium: 155mgCarbohydrates: 28gFiber: 3gSugar: 13gProtein: 4g