I had a dilemma recently. Last month I got a free box of strawberry cake mix from Kroger and I had no idea what to do with it. I didn’t really want to make a huge cake and let it sit around for us to consume in one day, but I didn’t want it to stay in the cabinet and go to waste. Then I realized Valentines Day would be coming up soon, and strawberry cake is pink, so that’s perfect! I decided to bake the cake and try my hand at strawberry cake truffles.
It was much easier than I thought, even after the many times I had to refrigerate everything. I ended up doing most of it over the course of the day with Allison watching and desperately wanting to get a taste. It was all worth it in the end, though, because these things are delicious. They’re great for taking to a get-together, and that’s exactly what I did with my MOPS group. I couldn’t let all of these sit around!
If you’re looking for an easy Valentines Day treat, this is it. Try it and let me know what you think!
- 1 box strawberry cake mix, prepared as per instructions on the box (I used applesauce instead of the oil to make it healthier)
- 1 package cream cheese, softened
- 16 ounces white melting chocolate
- 2 ounces chocolate chips
- In a large bowl, using your hands, crumble the prepared cake and mix it together with the softened cream cheese until fully mixed.
- Roll the mix into 40 balls and place on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper, and place in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Melt the white chocolate, and using a fork, dip each cake ball into the chocolate to coat evenly, tapping slightly against the bowl to shake off excess chocolate before placing back on the parchment paper. Put them back in the fridge until the chocolate has hardened.
- Melt the chocolate chips, put inside a small bag, then cut off a small corner to pipe the chocolate evenly over each cake ball. Put back in the fridge until ready to serve.