My slow cooker is my best friend. I love being able to throw a bunch of ingredients in there and have a nice dinner ready a few hours later without having to stress about it. And with summertime coming, using the slow cooker is a good way to have a hot meal without heating up the house.
This Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken is super easy, using just 3 ingredients, and can be used in many different ways. Here are some examples:
- On a bun as a sandwich
- In a wrap
- On a salad
- As a bowl (with any kind of grain and vegetable; the possibilities are endless)
My favorite way to eat this, as you can see from the pictures, is in a bowl. I like to load mine up with roasted sweet potatoes and broccoli, sometimes bell peppers. Rice is a really good option too! If you have a rice cooker, you can keep the tradition of a set-it-and-forget-it meal and keep your house cool at the same time.
Once the chicken’s done cooking, you’ll need to shred it. And every time I shred chicken, I use my KitchenAid mixer because it’s so fast! Just put the cooked chicken inside the mixing bowl and use the paddle attachment for 30 seconds or less, and your chicken is instantly shredded without stressing out your hands and fingers.
Did you know this recipe can be frozen, too? After you shred the chicken, let it cool and separate into freezer bags. You can easily double the recipe so you can have some for dinner that night and freeze the rest. It’s also a great meal prep recipe, as you can separate the chicken into individual containers with your choice of grain and vegetables; and when the time comes, just pull out the container and eat!
Have you made Slow Cooker Hawaiian Chicken before? What else have you put in yours? Leave a comment below!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup BBQ sauce
- 1 can pineapple chunks, undrained
- In a slow cooker, add the chicken, BBQ sauce, and pineapple chunks. Cook on LOW for 4-6 hours until chicken is fully cooked.
- Shred the chicken and serve on hamburger buns or wraps, on a salad, or in a bowl with vegetables and grain of choice.
- Optional: Add BBQ sauce after you shred the chicken instead of in the slow cooker. I find that the slow cooker gets extra water and makes the chicken lose that BBQ flavor.