Are you looking for an easy weeknight dinner? I’m in love with these simple chicken fajitas! Remember how, in my Veggie Spaghetti post, I said I keep an eye out for volume recipes? This is another one of my favorites! It uses 3 entire bell peppers plus an onion, and the chicken helps bulk it up as well.
One way to save time with this recipe is to cut all the vegetables beforehand. Make an effort at the beginning of each week to do some meal prep-cut up all your fruits and vegetables (putting them into snack bags if applicable), thaw and chop your chicken… you’ll save so much time in the evenings, not to mention extra dishes you won’t have to wash!
This chicken fajitas recipe is a good base to turn into multiple meals so you won’t get bored. Here are a couple ideas to try:
- On a tortilla with cheese, lettuce, sour cream
- In a burrito bowl with rice, beans, and other taco toppings
- On a big bed of lettuce as a salad
I put my leftover chicken fajita mix in a salad recently and wow, it was a ton of food for few calories! However you decide to serve it, you’ll soon realize that you may have found your next favorite dinner!
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into chunks
- 3 bell peppers- red, yellow, and orange- sliced into thin strips
- 1 onion, sliced into thin strips or chopped into tiny pieces
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- Toppings (optional): Sour cream, cheese, lettuce,salsa
- In a bowl, combine the taco seasoning with 1 tablespoon of oil and the chicken, and mix thoroughly.
- Heat 1 tablespoon oil in a pan and cook the chicken until the centers are white, fully cooked.
- Set aside the cooked chicken in a clean bowl and preheat 1 tablespoon of olive oil in the pan.
- Add the peppers and onion, stirring occasionally until the onions are translucent and the peppers are fully cooked.
- Add the cooked chicken to the vegetable mixture and stir thoroughly. Serve in tortillas, over rice, or in a salad.