Make dinner ahead of time with this freezer friendly Mexican Lasagna! Made with easy ingredients, this recipe will feed a crowd!
So, the Bacon family loves Mexican food.
I try to have themed meals every week to make meal planning easier, and a Mexican dish always makes it on the list- whether it’s burritos, bowls, nachos, or something else.
Some of that is easy! Just cook the meat and assemble the ingredients. But I tend to stay away from casseroles most of the time.
Who else thinks that casseroles can take forever? First you have to cook the meat and rice, which can take 20 minutes. Then you assemble all the ingredients, and THEN you still have to bake it for 30 minutes!
This is why I don’t make casseroles very often. But I don’t mind when I’m preparing everything ahead of time!
Enter this Mexican Lasagna. Now normally, I wouldn’t make this on a regular weeknight because the preparation time takes awhile. But since this is a freezer meal, all I have to worry about is baking it!
First brown some ground beef. I used 80/20 fresh ground chuck, but you can use any kind, or ground turkey.
Next add refried beans, salsa, and taco seasoning, and cook for a few extra minutes.
You’ll prepare this dish just like you would a typical lasagna. Pour some tomato sauce on the bottom of a greased baking dish and place two tortillas on top of that.
Then layer the meat mixture and cheese a couple times until you’ve got a lasagna-like casserole!
Once the lasagna is completely cool, you can put aluminum foil on top and label it with the date and cooking instructions. Place it flat in the freezer and just let it thaw overnight when you’re ready to bake!
This Mexican Lasagna would be easy to double as well. Eat one and freeze the other for later!
What can you serve with Mexican Lasagna?
You can have chips and salsa, Spanish rice, roasted veggies (Zucchini is our favorite), or just have the lasagna by itself. You can add extra vegetables inside, like corn, zucchini, or whatever else you think goes well with it.
Like this recipe? Check out the other recipes in my 25 Days of Freezer Meals series!
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 packet taco seasoning
- 1 can refried beans
- 2 cups salsa
- 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 6 flour tortillas, 8-inch
- 4 cups cheese (Cheddar, Mexican blend, etc.)
- Optional: 1 can of black beans or corn if you want more
- In a large pan, add the ground beef and salt and cook until the beef is browned.
- Add the taco seasoning and a half cup of water and cook for a couple extra minutes.
- Add the refried beans and salsa (and black beans and corn if desired) and stir to combine.
- In a greased 9x13 casserole dish, add half the can of tomato sauce and spread around to cover the entire bottom. Place two of the tortillas on top.
- Spread half of the meat mixture on the tortillas, then sprinkle one cup of cheese over top. Layer another two tortillas, then the rest of the meat mixture and another cup of cheese.
- Place the last two tortillas on top and spread the last half of the tomato sauce. Top with the remaining two cups of cheese.
- Once completely cooled, cover with aluminum foil and label with the date and cooking instructions and place in the freezer.
- Thaw overnight and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes until completely heated through.