Who else here is huge into the Instant Pot craze?
When I first got mine for Christmas, I’ll admit I was pretty apprehensive. I mean, it’s a pressure cooker- won’t it explode? But one day I got brave and cooked some dried black beans… and I haven’t looked back.
Since then, I’ve experimented with many different recipes. To be honest, most foods in there I can easily make in the slow cooker or stove because it doesn’t take that much longer. But some foods are perfect for the Instant Pot: Like hard-boiled eggs.
When I found the 5-5-5 method for making hard boiled eggs, my life was changed.
What is the 5-5-5 method for eggs?
The 5-5-5 method is super easy:
- Cook eggs for 5 minutes
- Let the Instant Pot release for 5 minutes
- Cool the eggs in ice water for 5 minutes
And after that, you’ve got eggs that peel in almost one piece. No more crumbly mess, no more weird-looking eggs from sticking shells.
How many eggs can you hard boil in the Instant Pot?
I put 12 at a time in my Instant Pot. And I don’t even have the little egg insert- I just put the eggs right on the trivet and add 1 1/2 cups of water. Never had a problem, and the eggs come out perfect every time.
How long do hard boiled eggs last?
Once you peel all your eggs, put them in a food-safe container. I like to put a wet paper towel in there to keep them from drying out. But after that, they should stay fresh up to a week. That means 6 days of yummy snacks or breakfasts for you!
What’s your favorite method of hard-boiling eggs? Leave a comment and let me know!
- 12 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups water
- In an Instant Pot, pour in the water. Lay the trivet on top and place the eggs in a single layer.
- Close the lid, set the knob to "Sealing", then cook on manual pressure for 5 minutes. It'll take about 10 minutes to come to pressure.
- After the timer goes off, wait 5 minutes before carefully turning the knob to "Venting". Once the small knob goes down to release all the pressure, remove the lid and place the eggs in a bowl full of ice water. Let sit for 5 minutes.
- Remove the eggs from the water and peel before placing in an airtight container. They'll stay fresh for up to a week.
Jaime is a Nutrition Coach and professional writer. She enjoys cooking easy meals, running, and learning more about food.
Jaime specializes in helping women with ADHD learn to meal plan and cook healthier meals without getting overwhelmed.