When I did my Whole30 back in March, I was stuck on meal ideas. Being on a restricted food list was difficult because I was limited on what to make. We had a lot of “ingredient” dinners- mostly chicken, potatoes, and veggies. Healthy, but kind of boring.
During the Whole30, I read “It Starts With Food“, which goes into scientific detail about the Whole30. And in the back of the book was a section full of recipes and mix-and-match ignredient dinners. One of those was curry, which seemed super easy. My favorite dish to order at any Thai restaurant is curry, so I was excited to try!
Here was the base recipe:
- 1/4 pound-1/2 pound of chicken per person
- 1/4 can-1/2 can of coconut milk per person
- 2 cups of veggies per person
- 2 tablespoons red or green curry paste
And with this recipe was a list of veggie examples- like the best vegetables to go with red curry were broccoli, red bell peppers, and others. So you could essentially mix and match whatever you wanted and it was like you were eating a brand new recipe each time.
This night, I decided to go easy and bought two bags of stir-fry veggies. They were cheap and turned out delicious! You could buy the fresh veggies individually too, but it’ll cost a bit more. This way was perfect and made a ton.
I fell in love instantly! So much so that I plan on making curry at least once or twice a month. Although this recipe is super customize-able, I’m sharing the most recent combination I tried to give you an idea of what the final product will look like.
What do you serve with Green Chicken Curry?
I usually put a cup of brown rice in my rice cooker, and about 75 minutes later it will be nice and cooked in time for dinner. I love being able to set and forget it! One cup of rice makes about two cups cooked, and a serving is about a half cup.
On my Whole30, I used roasted Russet potatoes instead of rice as my carb and it worked out well!
Besides rice, a small simple salad would be a nice addition to your curry. My local Thai restaurant includes a small salad with their curry, and it’s delicious!
How do you like to make your curry? Share in the comments and give us ideas for more combinations!
- 1.5 pounds raw chicken breast, cubed
- 1 can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste
- 2 12-oz bags frozen stir fry vegetables (1 bag equals about 4 cups)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- Heat a large pan and add the chicken cubes and curry powder, stirring occasionally until fully cooked.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot, add the coconut milk and frozen vegetables and heat to simmer, stirring occasionally.
- When the chicken is fully cooked, add to the pot and stir, letting the vegetables fully heat through before serving.
- Serve with rice and/or a simple side salad.