This French Onion Chicken has 4 ingredients and is made with an onion soup packet for easy cooking! Great for busy weeknights!
When the weather gets warmer, I’m a firm believer in using my slow cooker for easy dinners. Slow cooking makes for tender chicken; and the best part is that it doesn’t heat up the house!
I buy chicken whenever it’s on sale and freeze it for later. So when I have a lot of chicken, I look for easy ways to use it up.
This French Onion Chicken is made with 4 simple ingredients- items you may keep in the pantry! It has so much flavor and can be thrown on top of rice for an easy meal. This is perfect for busy weeknights.
Scroll to the bottom of the post to get to the recipe card. Or keep reading for extra tips and tricks!
- Boneless skinless chicken breasts (Chicken thighs would work too)
- Cream of chicken soup
- Chicken broth
- Onion soup packet
- Cheese: Top with swiss cheese or mozzarella cheese. Melted cheese on top of the chicken would make this gooey and delicious!
- Yellow onions: Add diced onions before cooking for extra flavor.
Can you use frozen chicken in this?
Absolutely! Like I said above, I freeze chicken whenever I find it for a good price. Your slow cooker will cook frozen chicken really well. Just make sure it reaches an internal temperature of at least 165 degrees F. A meat thermometer really helps with this!
How to make
In the bottom of the slow cooker, mix together the cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, and onion soup packet.
Place the chicken breast on top and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours or high heat for 2-3 hours.
Remove cooked chicken and shred or dice, then return to the slow cooker and mix with the sauce.
Serve on top of rice, mashed potatoes, or pasta, and with your favorite sides.
How to store
Once this has cooled to room temperature, store leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. Use up within 3-5 days. This is a great meal to serve for lunch the next day!
What to serve with this
This easy recipe is meant to be served on top of a carb! Here are some ideas:
- Rice (White rice or brown rice)
- Mashed potatoes
- Egg noodles or other type of pasta
- Crusty bread (as a side)
I also recommend vegetable side dishes to make this a complete meal. I served this with a salad, but roasted or steamed vegetables would be great as well! I usually make green beans or broccoli.
More 5-ingredient recipes
Are you looking for more easy meals that the entire family will enjoy? Here are some of my favorite recipes that only have 5 ingredients or less!
Print the recipe now for this Crock Pot French Onion Chicken:
- 1 pound boneless chicken breast
- 1 can cream of chicken soup
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 packet onion soup mix
- In the bottom of the slow cooker, mix together the cream of chicken soup, chicken broth, and onion soup packet.
- Place the chicken breast on top and cook on low heat for 4-6 hours or high heat for 2-3 hours.
- Remove cooked chicken and shred or dice, then return to the slow cooker and mix with the sauce.
- Serve on top of rice, mashed potatoes, or pasta, and with your favorite sides.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 286Total Fat: 9gSaturated Fat: 2gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 5gCholesterol: 103mgSodium: 1518mgCarbohydrates: 12gFiber: 1gSugar: 1gProtein: 38g