This Pizza Casserole will become your new favorite form of pizza! It’s hearty, cheesy, feeds a crowd, and is freezer friendly!
Is there anything better than pizza?
I don’t know, but this Pizza Casserole comes close.
I mean, it’s got all the essentials. Pizza sauce, pepperoni, mozzarella cheese. If you’re looking for a hearty meal that feeds a crowd, this is basically it. John and I ate from this for like 4 days.
What pizza toppings can you use in this casserole?
Whatever you can think of! I only used pepperoni and the ground meat, but you could add mushrooms, onions, bell peppers, jalapenos… they would all blend together perfectly.
Do you have to bake the casserole before freezing?
Nope! I cooked the meat and pasta, then just assembled everything in the casserole dish. But I slightly undercooked the pasta; that way it wouldn’t get really mushy after baking.
I also served this casserole with a bag of frozen broccoli because we needed a vegetable. But a small salad on the side would work quite well!
What are your favorite pizza toppings? Leave a comment and let me know! Mine are pepperoni and jalapenos. Then I dip the pizza in hot sauce. Crazy? I’ll let you decide.
Want to see the other recipes in this series? Check out my 4 Weeks to Fill Your Freezer page!
- 1 pound ground beef or other preferred ground meat
- 16-oz box penne
- 6-oz bag pepperoni
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- Boil a large pot of water and cook the pasta until just slightly undercooked. Drain and set aside.
- In a large pan, cook the ground beef until fully cooked, then drain. Add the crushed tomatoes, garlic powder, and Italian seasoning, and combine.
- Pour the meat mixture in the pot with the pasta and combine, then pour into a 9x13 casserole dish. Line the entire casserole with pepperoni, then top with the mozzarella and Parmesan.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes until the cheese is fully melted.
If freezing, cover the casserole dish with aluminum foil and place in the freezer. Thaw overnight when ready to bake.
You may need to add some cooking time if the casserole is cold when you put it in the oven. I needed about 5-7 extra minutes.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 8 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 489Total Fat: 21gSaturated Fat: 8gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 8.5gCholesterol: 91mgSodium: 838mgCarbohydrates: 46gFiber: 6gSugar: 5gProtein: 31g
Nutrition information is an estimate and should not be regarded as medical advice.