This Easy Chicken Salad Recipe is meal prep friendly and makes for a perfect lunch option! Here’s how to prep it for the week.
How many of you are super busy throughout the week?
I’m a mom that works from home, and sometimes I find myself running around and barely have time to stop and think about food. Those are times that I need meals that are REALLY easy and take no effort to pull out of the fridge.
This is where meal prep comes in! Every Sunday afternoon I make one or two things that help me save time throughout the week. Usually it’s a breakfast or snack item, but sometimes it’s lunch.
This Chicken Salad recipe is lighter than some of the other classic recipes. It uses Greek yogurt as well as a little mayo, so it adds a protein boost as well! It’s tangy with the Dijon mustard but has a sweetness with the grapes.
Scroll to the bottom of the post to get to the recipe card, or keep reading for extra tips!
Why meal prep?
I’ve found that if I prepare foods ahead of time, I’m more likely to eat them. This is a great way to save money AND avoid food waste!
And if you’re busy like I am, you may not have time to cook a healthy lunch or dinner every day. So having a meal you can easily pull out of the fridge is essential.
Chicken salad is the perfect meal prep recipe because you can make it ahead of time and have as a quick lunch!
Is chicken salad good for weight loss?
If you’re trying to make healthy choices, then chicken salad can be a good option. It has simple ingredients found at every grocery store and has a good amount of nutrition:
- Protein: Helps keep you full longer and can help with losing weight
- Fat: Increases satiety and is great for brain health
- Other nutrients: A good amount of vitamins from the grapes
As with everything, you can enjoy chicken salad in moderation!
Pre-cooked chicken that’s been shredded (A rotisserie chicken would be great for this, or cook your own chicken!)
Salt and black pepper
Chicken salad is great because you can add so many things to it! Here are some other ingredients you can add:
- Red onion
- Grape tomatoes
- Other spices: Garlic powder, onion powder
How to make
In a small bowl, combine the mayo, Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, paprika, and salt and pepper.
In a large bowl, add the chicken, green onions, and grapes.
Pour the sauce into the chicken mixture and stir to combine.
Divide into individual meal prep containers and store in the fridge.
How to store
I store most of my leftovers in an airtight container in the fridge. Chicken salad will be good for 3-5 days.
The best way, for me, is to divide into individual servings. That way it’s easy for me to pull a container out of the fridge for a quick meal!
What to eat with this
Here are some things you can do with a meal-prepped chicken salad:
- Meal prep salads! Add Romaine lettuce and other fresh ingredients in Mason jars, placing the chicken salad on top. Mason jar salads are so fun!
- Eat as a dip with crackers! I bought some pita crackers from Aldi and they were perfect for dipping into chicken salad.
- Top a baked sweet potato! Sweet potatoes are full of fiber and vitamins and make a great base.
- Eat on a sandwich! If you’re taking this into work for lunch, I recommend packing the bread and chicken salad separately. Otherwise you might get soggy bread.
Other healthy meal prep recipes
Want to jump on the meal prep bandwagon with me? Here are some of my favorite easy-to-make meal ideas with healthy ingredients!
- Baked Blueberry Oatmeal Cups
- Bacon Egg and Cheese Biscuits
- Freezer Pasta Microwave Lunches
- Santa Fe Chicken Lunches
Easy Chicken Salad Recipe
This Easy Chicken Salad Recipe is meal prep friendly and makes for a perfect lunch option! Here's how to prep it for the week.
- 1 pound cooked and shredded chicken
- 1/2 cup green onion, diced
- 1 cup red grapes, cut in half
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise
- 1/4 cup plain nonfat Greek yogurt
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- In a small bowl, combine the mayo, Greek yogurt, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, paprika, and salt and pepper.
- In a large bowl, add the chicken, green onions, and grapes.
- Pour the sauce into the chicken mixture and stir to combine.
- Divide into individual meal prep containers and store in the fridge.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 4 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 331Total Fat: 18gSaturated Fat: 4gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 13gCholesterol: 92mgSodium: 750mgCarbohydrates: 10gFiber: 1gSugar: 7gProtein: 31g