Looking for a different twist on enchiladas? These Creamy Chicken Enchiladas are made with cream cheese and green sauce, and can also be frozen!
I’ve said this many times before, but Mexican food is a staple here in the Bacon household. I include it on the menu at least once a week; and what I love is it can be so cheap and filling and can be made many different ways.
Most Mexican dishes are also really easy to freeze. Like these Creamy Chicken Enchiladas. Really, enchiladas themselves are super simple to make and freeze. It’s just meat, cheese, and sauce wrapped up in tortillas and covered in more sauce. Now it’s just a matter of how many batches you want to make at a time.
Now, we like the standard enchiladas with the red sauce. But the green sauce kind of takes it up one step. And the cream cheese in the filling makes it that much better. In fact, I think next time I might use a white cheese sauce instead of green enchilada sauce.
How do you make Creamy Chicken Enchiladas?
You start with already cooked and shredded chicken. You can use a store-bought rotisserie chicken, or cook a couple chicken breasts in the slow cooker for 5-6 hours with a cup of water and some salt and pepper.
In fact- next time you think about it, buy some extra chicken when it’s on sale and cook it all up just to freeze for recipes like this.
Then you mix up the chicken with cream cheese, shredded cheddar, chili powder, cumin, salt, and pepper (Or just a packet of taco seasoning), and add a tad bit of enchilada sauce to help the mixture stir better.
Place a large spoonful of mixture onto 8 tortillas and tightly roll before placing in a 9×13 foil pan. Then pour the rest of the enchilada sauce over top. That’s it!
How can you freeze enchiladas?
Since they’re already in a foil pan, wrap the top with aluminum foil and write the recipe name, the date, and baking instructions. Lay the pan flat in the freezer, and set it back in the fridge to thaw the night before you bake them!
What sauce do you prefer? Red or green? I think I’m still a fan of the red, but green sauce is definitely a nice change. And if you use a white cheese sauce instead, let me know how it is!
Looking for more freezer meal ideas? Check out the other recipes in my 25 Days of Freezer Meals series!
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken breast
- 8-oz block cream cheese
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese (Or more for topping)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1 packet taco seasoning (If not using the seasonings above)
- 28-oz can green enchilada sauce
- 8 8-inch flour tortillas
- Mix together the chicken, cream cheese, shredded cheese, and seasonings. Add a tiny bit of the enchilada sauce if the mixture is hard to stir.
- Place a large spoonful of the chicken mixture onto a tortilla and roll tightly. Place in a 9x13 pan that's been drizzled with a little enchilada sauce. Repeat until all the tortillas are gone.
- Cover with aluminum foil and label with the recipe name, date, and cooking instructions. Place flat in the freezer.
- When ready to cook, thaw in the fridge overnight and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.