Remember a couple weeks ago when I talked about ways to hide vegetables in your food? I think I found the perfect recipe. I mean, Allison ate them, but John and I devoured them. These carrot cake muffins are healthy, super sweet, and are great for breakfast or an evening snack. I found the original recipe here but modified it a bit.
These are the muffins that Allison will pick out a shred of carrot, ask, “Is this a carrot? I love carrots!” and happily munch on it. Is this what I have to do to get you to like vegetables, kid?
What I love about them is the healthy factor. There’s a ton of applesauce in this recipe, and I use the unsweetened kind that’s still pretty sweet. It also uses wheat flour, which I prefer to use in most bread recipes now. I did think a half cup of honey was a little much, so next time I might add just a third cup to see how it holds up.
If you love carrot cake, you’ll love these muffins! Give them a try for breakfast next week.
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup honey (or 1/3 cup to make it less sweet)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 egg
- 1 cup applesauce
- 3/4 cup shredded carrots
- In a large bowl, whisk together the flour, baking soda, salt, and cinnamon.
- Add the egg, butter, honey, vanilla, and applesauce, and stir until just combined.
- Add the shredded carrots and gently fold them in, being careful not to over-mix.
- Spoon into a greased muffin tin and bake at 350 degrees for 18-20 minutes.