What do you get when you cross buffalo chicken and grilled cheese?
Heaven, that’s what.
You take a heap of shredded chicken and smother it in buffalo sauce, then pile it on top of bread and a slice of cheese and grill it to perfection.
Now usually, I’m a little meh about grilled cheese. It’s not a substantial meal, and I’ll typically pair it with some soup to make it more filling.
But this Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese? No soup needed. In fact, I cut up some Sweet Potato Fries to serve with it, and it made a perfect meal.
So the chicken itself is pretty easy. Put a pound of chicken breasts in your slow cooker and pour a half cup of buffalo sauce on top. Don’t worry, you’ll be adding more on it later. Cook the chicken on LOW for 6-7 hours until it’s fully cooked. I usually cook mine from frozen, and after 6 hours it’s usually done!
Afterwards, shred that chicken either with forks or your KitchenAid mixer. Yes, you can use your paddle attachment to make perfectly shredded chicken in like 30 seconds! My hands will never ache again.
As you can see from the picture above, most of that buffalo sauce left the chicken so we’ll need to add more. Just put a serving of chicken (About a half cup) into a bowl and add 2 more tablespoons of buffalo sauce. That’ll get your chicken nice and drenched; the spicier the better for me! Then just make your grilled cheese like normal, with buttered bread and a slice of cheddar cheese.
Once you finish grilling, it’ll be thick, gooey, and delicious. Just what I needed on a cooler Fall evening.
If you’re in a rush and don’t have time to cook the chicken, you can always pre-cook it a few days beforehand and freeze it in quart-sized freezer bags! I’ve done this before and it really saves on time and dishes, which is just what we moms need.
With just a few simple ingredients, you’ll have these Buffalo Chicken Grilled Cheese Sandwiches ready with a small amount of prep time! What’s your favorite type of buffalo sauce? Leave a comment and let me know!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast, frozen
- 1/2 cup buffalo sauce, plus extra for topping
- 8 slices bread
- 4 slices cheddar cheese
- In a slow cooker, place the chicken breast and pour a half cup of buffalo sauce over top. Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours until the chicken is fully cooked, then shred.
- For each sandwich, put a half cup of shredded chicken in a small bowl and pour 2 tablespoons of buffalo sauce on top, then stir to combine.
- Butter one side of each slice of bread, then top the unbuttered sides with a slice of cheese and the half cup of chicken mixture.
- Place each sandwich on a pan and grill until brown, flipping each sandwich once.