If you look at the recipes on my blog right now, you’ll probably see more chicken and slow cooker recipes than anything else! Chicken is so versatile and one of the cheaper proteins, and it’s just so easy to cook in the slow cooker! I’ve made this slow cooker cheesy chicken and rice a few times and it’s a big hit in our family. I found the original recipe on Southern Plate.
First, place 2 chicken breasts in the bottom of the slow cooker and pour a can of cream of chicken soup on top, as well as some onion powder (or chopped onions if you have them). Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours until the chicken is fully cooked. Remove the chicken and shred, then add it back to the slow cooker.
Cook a box of Zatarain’s yellow rice according to the directions. If this looks like a lot of rice, it’s because I doubled this recipe to bring half to a friend!
When the rice is done, pour it into the slow cooker as well as the corn and cheese, and stir thoroughly.
I love this recipe! It’s so easy to just keep all the ingredients in your pantry for a quick and simple meal.
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 10.5 ounce can cream of chicken soup
- 2 teaspoons onion powder (Or 1 small onion, chopped)
- 1 8 ounce box Zatarain's yellow rice mix, cooked according to directions
- 1 15 ounce can of corn, drained
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Place the chicken breasts on the bottom of a slow cooker, then pour the cream of chicken soup on top. Add onion powder or onions. Cook on LOW for 7-8 hours.
- When the chicken is fully cooked, remove and shred, then add back to the slow cooker.
- Add cooked rice, corn, and shredded cheese, and stir thoroughly.