Do you ever get overwhelmed by meals with a ton of ingredients?
I do too. The simpler, the better for me. Especially on busy weeknights when I have to get dinner ready before I go out for an appointment.
This Baked Chicken Parmesan recipe has only 5 main ingredients and can be ready in 30 minutes! I love how this easy recipe feels so fancy, but so simple to put together.
It has crispy chicken pieces, a flavorful sauce, and perfectly melted cheese. All together, it brings an amazing flavor with short cooking times!
Most of these ingredients I already keep at home, so there’s no need to rush to the grocery store to pick up forgotten items.
Scroll down to the bottom of the post to get to the recipe card to what I think is the best chicken parm ever. Or keep reading to get extra tips and tricks!
I love how this recipe has simple ingredients. You can obviously add more, but these are the basics!
Boneless chicken breast– The thickness of your chicken breasts doesn’t matter too much, because you’re slicing them into smaller pieces!
Italian bread crumbs
Shredded mozzarella cheese
Chicken: I used chicken breast, but you can also use boneless skinless chicken thighs.
Parmesan cheese: To keep this at 5 ingredients I left this out. But you can use shredded Parmesan or grated Parmesan in the breadcrumb mixture!
Spaghetti sauce: I used a jar, but you can use homemade marinara sauce!
Seasonings: My store-bought sauce was seasoned, but you can use extra of your favorites: Italian seasoning, oregano, basil, garlic powder, salt and black pepper, etc.
How to make
Slice the chicken breast into small pieces.
Crack the egg into a shallow bowl and whisk. Take one or a few pieces of chicken at a time and coat them in the egg mixture.
Add the Italian breadcrumbs to a bowl. Coat the egg wash covered chicken pieces in breadcrumbs.
Lay the chicken pieces flat on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
Remove from the oven and add 1 tablespoon pasta sauce and 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese on top of the chicken pieces. Place back in the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and the chicken is fully cooked, reaching 165 degrees F.
Serve over pasta and remaining marinara sauce.
How to store
Once this dinner has cooled to room temperature, store in an airtight container in the fridge for 3-5 days.
What to serve
Usually, Chicken Parmesan is served with regular pasta. To make this low carb, you can also use zucchini noodles or other favorite veggie noodle!
I also heat up a bag of frozen broccoli or green beans as an easy side. A nice salad would be great, too!
This recipe has quickly become one of our family favorites! Scroll down to print this easy weeknight dinner and keep it on your monthly rotation!
Other 5-ingredient recipes
Looking for more ideas that only have 5 ingredients? Check out my master list and find a new favorite!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 egg
- 1 cup plain or Italian bread crumbs
- 28-ounce jar spaghetti sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- Slice the chicken breast into small pieces.
- Crack the egg into a bowl and whisk. Take one or a few pieces of chicken at a time and coat them in the egg wash.
- Add the breadcrumbs to a bowl. Coat the egg-covered chicken pieces in breadcrumbs.
- Lay the chicken pieces flat on a greased baking sheet. Bake at 375 degrees for 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and add 1 tablespoon spaghetti sauce and 1 tablespoon of shredded cheese on each piece of chicken. Place back in the oven for 5 minutes until the cheese is melted and the chicken is fully cooked, reaching 165 degrees F.
- Serve over pasta and remaining spaghetti sauce.