As you’ve probably seen from my weekly shopping trips, I do a lot of my grocery shopping at Meijer. I never used to until one opened up like two minutes from my house, and now that it’s here, I don’t know how I managed without it! So what’s so special about Meijer? Let me share 3 things that I love about Meijer, and hopefully if you have a Meijer nearby you’ll consider trying it in the future!
1. mPerks: Meijer’s mPerks is probably my favorite grocery store rewards system right now. It’s so simple to sign up; you just use your email address and phone number, and a 4-digit PIN. There’s no rewards card to take up space in your wallet, and all you have to do at checkout is enter your phone number and PIN! mPerks uses both coupons and rewards to help save you money each time you shop.
- Coupons: mPerks has coupons for both name brand and store brand items. I’m so glad they have store brand coupons, because that means even more savings on my part; I usually buy store brand anyway! Sometimes they’ll have coupons for any brand; for example, I once saw a coupon for “Save $1.00 on 3 boxes of pasta, any brand”. Their Barilla pasta was on sale that week, I think, so I was able to use a paper manufacturer coupon and that store e-coupon to get that pasta for a great price!
- Rewards: Meijer has 3 types of rewards in their mPerks system. The first is their Pharmacy rewards, which I love! For every 5 prescriptions you fill, you can get $10 off a purchase of $10 or more. The next type is the Baby rewards, where if you spend $100, you can get $10 off your next order. That money accumulates, so you don’t have to spend all $100 at once! The last type is their Personalized rewards. These could be for anything! For example, I have 7 in my account right now, for things like $5.00 your next order when you spend $25.00 in fresh produce, or $5.00 your next order when you spend $35.00 in electronics. You have 28 days from when you first clip the reward to reach the goal, and if you don’t reach it, the reward will expire and will be replaced with something else. I don’t hit these as much anymore as I do a lot of shopping at Aldi now, but back at Thanksgiving and Christmas I hit these constantly because of buying presents/party food!
2. Sales: Meijer has a lot of different sales, usually rotating every few weeks. Some are pretty okay, but some are awesome! Here’s a list of the sales they usually do.
- 2-Day sales: These usually happen every couple weeks and are held on Friday/Saturday. They usually involve Buy One, Get One Free sales on certain items, or other really low prices. For awhile, Chi-Chis salsa was on sale almost every time for $.99, which is a great price! They’ll also sometimes have produce on sale, usually bananas. The best part of these 2-day sales are the mPerks coupons for 5% off your entire grocery bill! This doesn’t happen every time, but when it does, I try to plan my shopping so that I can do it on Saturday before the coupon expires.
- 10 for $10, get the 11th item free: These are usually great sales! The ad has a huge list of the items you can get for $1.00. You’ll typically find soda, salad dressing/croutons, bread, salad kits, salsa, and some produce. Buy 11 items and use coupons, and you’ll get one item free plus great prices on the rest! Definitely pay attention when the next Meijer ad comes out!
- Buy X number of items, get $X.00 off: Every week, it’s something different. Sometimes it’ll be Buy 8 Save $8, other times Buy 5 Save $5. Kraft is a popular brand that’ll be part of the sale; things like their salad dressing, cheese, and also items part of the Kraft brand like Crystal Light. You have to buy the number of required items to get the sale price, so make sure you pay attention. If you do it right, you’ll be able to get the lowest price you can find! When Crystal Light goes on sale for $.99 during these times, I make sure to stock up on as many as I can.
3. Clearance: I know every grocery store has a clearance section, but I do like Meijer’s. When produce is getting a little too ripe, there will be a tall cart next to the produce section with the marked down produce in the little plastic bags.The apples are usually $.88/lb, and I’ve also seen avocados, oranges, and potatoes. It’s very hit and miss, but I always check that cart when I go shopping!
I found these green peppers the other day. Six huge green peppers for only $1.50! I knew there was no way I’d be able to use them before they went bad, so I chopped them all and froze them. I love being able to find deals like this!
If you’ve never shopped at Meijer before, I highly recommend trying it out! Their sales are worth stopping in for, and I’ve never been disappointed by the prices of sale items. Let me know what you think!
(Linked up on: The Girl Creative , Little Miss Celebration , I have a Future and a Hope )
Friday 19th of June 2015
what a bummer, we don't have those down here :-( Looks like some really good deals!