Looking for a dinner with few ingredients? This Tater Tot Casserole has only 4 ingredients and is an amazing comfort meal!
Looking for easy dinners that don’t take a ton of thought?
I love recipes that don’t use a lot of ingredients. My ADHD brain looks at a recipe with a shopping list of ingredients, and I immediately shut down. The easier, the better!
This Tater Tot Casserole has only 4 simple ingredients and doesn’t take a lot of effort. The baking time is rather high, but it’s mostly hands off! With crispy tater tots and a creamy meat mixture, this is perfect for the whole family on busy weeknights!
Scroll to the bottom of the post to get to the recipe card. Or keep reading for more tips!
- Ground beef or ground turkey
- A frozen bag of tater tots
- Cream of chicken soup
- Shredded cheese
What I like about this easy weeknight dinner is that you can add any number of seasonings to change the theme.
Want a Tex-Mex style? Add taco seasoning or chili seasoning.
Want more of a ranch flare? Add ranch seasoning!
Here are some other options:
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Salt and black pepper
- Chili powder
- Cayenne pepper
Other substitutions you could make:
- Use a can of cream of mushroom soup instead, or make your own cream soup
- Use lean ground beef, ground turkey, ground chicken, or other favorite meat
How to make
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom of a 9×13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
In a large skillet, cook the ground meat on medium heat until fully browned.
Drain any grease and add the can of cream of chicken soup, as well as any desired seasonings. Stir to combine.
In the bottom of the greased casserole dish, add the meat mixture in a single layer.
Sprinkle the cheese in an even layer over the meat.
Lastly, spread the frozen tater tots in an even layer on top.
Bake for 35-40 minutes until the tops of the tater tots are golden brown.
Divide into bowls and serve with a dollop of sour cream and your favorite sides.
How to store
Once the leftover tater tot casserole has cooled to room temperature, store in an airtight container in the fridge. Use up within 3-5 days. It tastes just as good the next day!
What to serve with this
This main dish is a good source of protein and carbs, so I suggest serving a vegetable with this to make it a complete meal! Frozen vegetables make an easy side dish, like broccoli or green beans. A nice side salad would be another good option!
Other low-ingredient recipes
Looking for other easy dinner recipes that have 5 ingredients or less? Check out my Master Post for more ideas!
This hearty casserole is the perfect comfort food. Print this easy tater tot casserole recipe now:
- 1 pound ground beef (or ground turkey)
- 1 10.5 ounce can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 28-ounce bag frozen tater tots
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Spray the bottom of a 9x13 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
- In a large skillet, cook the ground meat on medium heat until fully browned.
- Drain any grease and add the can of cream of chicken soup, as well as any desired seasonings. Stir to combine.
- In the bottom of the greased casserole dish, add the meat mixture in a single layer.
- Sprinkle the cheese in an even layer over the meat.
- Lastly, spread the frozen tater tots in an even layer on top.
- Bake for 35-40 minutes until the tops of the tater tots are golden brown.
- Divide into bowls and serve with a dollop of sour cream and your favorite sides.
Nutrition Information:Yield: 6 Serving Size: 1
Amount Per Serving: Calories: 472Total Fat: 23gSaturated Fat: 5gTrans Fat: 0gUnsaturated Fat: 7gCholesterol: 58mgSodium: 1020mgCarbohydrates: 42gFiber: 4gSugar: 0gProtein: 26g
Jaime is a Nutrition Coach and professional writer. She enjoys cooking easy meals, running, and learning more about food.
Jaime specializes in helping women with ADHD learn to meal plan and cook healthier meals without getting overwhelmed.