Don’t pay high prices for English muffins! Make your own with these easy and healthier Bread Machine English muffins!
One of my favorite things to eat for breakfast is breakfast sandwiches. Something simple, like sausage and cheese on bread or an English muffin. It wasn’t until earlier this year that I realized I could make my own muffins!
I had only bought English muffins when they were on sale, and even then they were like $2.00 for a 6-pack. When I calculated how much it would cost to make my own, my jaw dropped.
My recipe for these English muffins (shown below) cost a total of $1.19 to make.
This batch makes 15 muffins, so that comes out to 8 cents per muffin. What.
Compare that to a 6-pack that costs around $2.00, or 33 cents per muffin.
That’s crazy! These are all ingredients you may keep in the house anyway, so why not make a cheap and healthy version of a great breakfast food?
How to make bread machine english muffins
The first step is to add the water, milk, egg, oil, honey, salt, flour, and yeast in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
Set the bread machine on the “Dough” setting and let it run, about an hour and a half.
When the dough’s finished, set it on a cutting board, knead it a few times, then roll it out with flour and cut it into circular shapes. I’m fancy and using a tuna can!
Place the muffins on a tray and cover with a towel for about 30 minutes to let them rise.
After the muffins have risen, heat up a griddle (or a regular pan will do) and place a few muffins at a time, cooking a couple minutes on each side until the tops are brown. No cooking spray required, they cook just fine without!
How can you serve these english muffins?
You can toast these in your toaster oven and eat with butter or peanut butter. Or make your own copycat Egg McMuffin!
One of our favorite ways to eat these is with a sausage patty and a slice of cheese. It’s enough to keep us full for hours; and seriously, nothing beats the taste of a homemade English muffin.
Looking for more bread machine recipes?
- Bread Machine Cinnamon Rolls
- Bread Machine Dinner Rolls
- Bread Machine Jalapeno Cheese Bread
- Bread Machine Cinnamon Raisin Bread
- Bread Machine Breadsticks
- 1 cup milk
- 1/4 cup warm water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 egg
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons active dry yeast
- Add all ingredients to the bread machine in the order recommended by the manufacturer.
- Use the dough setting and let it run for 90 minutes.
- When the dough is completed, knead it a few times on a cutting board, then roll it out and cut into about 15 muffins.
- Set the muffins on a tray, cover with a towel, and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Heat a griddle or pan and cook a few muffins at a time until both sides are brown.