If you have a Keurig, you know how easy it is to just toss in a K Cup and get a quick cup of coffee. When I got mine for Christmas, K Cups were all I bought for the longest time. Then I realized how much money I was spending on so few cups; and when John bought me an insert for ground coffee, I immediately stopped buying K Cups.
But what I’ve noticed is that the price of K Cups is going down slowly, and more stores have their own store brand of K Cups. Can you save money by buying K Cups? Let’s take a look at the prices of both ground coffee and K Cups, and ideas on where to go to get the most out of your money!
What brand should you buy?
Like with most items you buy, what brand you like determines how much you pay. The store brand version of K Cups or ground coffee will be much cheaper than, say, Starbucks. So you have two options:
- Simply look for the cheapest price-per-cup, no matter the brand
- Pick your favorite brand and focus on finding sales and coupons for the cheapest price
My advice is to choose your favorite brand. There are SO many different brands of coffee that you may get overwhelmed trying to find the better deal. I’m a huge Starbucks fan (In case you couldn’t tell), so I always hold out for the good sales.
The Price of K Cups Vs. Ground Coffee
For simplicity’s sake, I’m going to compare two different brands: Starbucks and Kroger’s store brand. I found both the K Cups and ground coffee and did the math for you, and here’s what I found:
- Kroger K Cups 12-count: $4.99 – $.41 per K Cup
- Starbucks K Cups 10-count: $6.99 – $.69 per K Cup
And here’s what I found on bags of ground coffee:
- Starbucks: $5.99 per 12-ounce bag. The bag makes enough for 34 cups, which equals $.17 per cup.
- Kroger ground coffee: $2.99 per 11.5-ounce can. It comes out to $.08 per cup.
As you can see, buying ground coffee is a lot cheaper, especially if you drink more than one cup per day. And buying store brand is usually a lot cheaper than name brand; but it’s okay if you’re brand-loyal! But if you like the convenience, or you’re hosting a party where K Cups would be more convenient, here are some places to look to find cheaper K Cups:
- Discount stores: Places like Big Lots and Ollie’s sell K Cups at lower prices. It’s not always the big brands like Starbucks, but you can still get K Cups a little cheaper. Now by a little cheaper, I mean as low as $.30 per K Cup. Still not cheaper than ground coffee, but a pretty good deal.
- Club stores: You have to be careful buying in bulk at places like Sam’s Club and Costco. Bulk does not equal cheaper! If you check their websites, you’ll see that most of the selections have already calculated the price-per-cup for you. And Sam’s constantly has Instant Savings events that include K Cups, so make sure you check their sales before buying something!
- Coupon websites: Sites like Money Saving Mom, The Krazy Coupon Lady, Meijer Madness, and Kroger Krazy will let you know if there are any good coffee deals and will even provide you with coupons if there are any! Since they post a lot throughout the day, you can subscribe to their email newsletters where they’ll send you the whole day’s updates every night.
Do I still love K Cups, even though they’re more expensive? Yes! They’re wonderful for parties because it means easier clean-up. I’m glad I have my insert for ground coffee, but K Cups are wonderfully convenient. Can you save money buying K Cups? It’s not cheaper than ground coffee, but when you check the above places, you’ll find at least one that will help you save money!
What are your tips for saving money on K Cups? Leave a comment and let us know!